use loader to load kernel.gz and mfsroot.gz in an ext2 filesystem
刘 扬
2005-01-26 07:26:59 UTC
Hi,sorry to bother you^-^

I have a problem about the loader of freebsd

I put loader,kernel.gz and mfsroot.gz in an ext2(dos) file system on
harddisk,and want to directly use grub or use grub and freebsd loader(or
other manner?) to boot the system.

But when I use grub to transfer freebsd loader,I find it(freebsd loader)
can't read files of ext2(dos),and when i use grub 0.93 of redhat 9.0 to
directly load mfsroot.gz by "initrd /mfsroot.gz",it fails for "linux kernel
must be loaded before initrd".

My goal is to put install.cfg,freebsd kernel and mfsroot on harddisk,then
boot from harddisk into freebsd,and install it with original freebsd cd.

Any one help?
Any answers are appreciated,^-^.

与联机的朋友进行交流,请使用 MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com/cn
M. Warner Losh
2005-01-26 16:01:50 UTC
: I put loader,kernel.gz and mfsroot.gz in an ext2(dos) file system on
: harddisk,and want to directly use grub or use grub and freebsd loader(or
: other manner?) to boot the system.

You'll need to add support to libstand to read ext2 and/or DOS file
systems. That's the first step...

Warner
Dan Nelson
2005-01-26 16:30:48 UTC
Post by M. Warner Losh
: I put loader,kernel.gz and mfsroot.gz in an ext2(dos) file system
: on harddisk,and want to directly use grub or use grub and freebsd
: loader(or other manner?) to boot the system.
You'll need to add support to libstand to read ext2 and/or DOS file
systems. That's the first step...
Libstand already supports both, and they are included into /boot/loader
( see the file_system[] array in /sys/boot/i386/loader/conf.c ), so it
should be able to boot off of both filessytems just fine.
--
Dan Nelson
***@allantgroup.com
Kamal R. Prasad

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
Dan Nelson
2005-01-26 18:00:29 UTC
Post by Kamal R. Prasad
Is it possible to load the loader on redboot, then
have the loader tftp the kernel over ethernet?
There is a PXE version of the loader (pxeboot) that will load a kernel
from tftp or nfs, but it requires a dhcp server to get the server's IP
and its kernel filename from.
--
Dan Nelson
***@allantgroup.com
刘 扬
2005-01-27 02:42:17 UTC
But when I do this,
Boot from the Ext2(or Dos) partition with grub
And then use loader from the partition
It says "Can't find kernel/kernel.old"
Then I use the "ls" of loader by "ls "
It says " ' ' is bad path "