Why SPDX-License-Identifier: BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD?
Sebastian Huber
2018-10-15 05:40:23 UTC
Hello,

I noticed that a lot of files have this SPDX-License-Identifier:

BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD

I didn't find this identifier at https://opensource.org/licenses, e.g.

https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD

doesn't exist. I didn't find a difference to

https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause

What is the reason for this specialized identifier?
--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax : +49 89 189 47 41-09
E-Mail : ***@embedded-brains.de
PGP : Public key available on request.

Allan Jude
2018-10-15 05:44:58 UTC
Post by Sebastian Huber
Hello,
BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD
I didn't find this identifier at https://opensource.org/licenses, e.g.
https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD
doesn't exist. I didn't find a difference to
https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause
What is the reason for this specialized identifier?
When opensource.org created their 'official' BSD license, they deviated
from the wording used in the real BSD license.

The FreeBSD license specifically says "PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND
CONTRIBUTORS" and the OSI version says "PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT
HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS"

There can be a significant difference between those two terms, making it
an entirely different license.
Allan Jude
Sebastian Huber
2018-10-15 07:03:44 UTC
Post by Allan Jude
Post by Sebastian Huber
Hello,
BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD
I didn't find this identifier at https://opensource.org/licenses, e.g.
https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD
doesn't exist. I didn't find a difference to
https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause
What is the reason for this specialized identifier?
When opensource.org created their 'official' BSD license, they deviated
from the wording used in the real BSD license.
The FreeBSD license specifically says "PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND
CONTRIBUTORS" and the OSI version says "PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT
HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS"
There can be a significant difference between those two terms, making it
an entirely different license.
In case the author of a FreeBSD source file is not the copyright holder,
then doesn't have FreeBSD a problem here?

Joerg Sonnenberger
2018-10-15 10:03:56 UTC
Post by Sebastian Huber
In case the author of a FreeBSD source file is not the copyright holder,
then doesn't have FreeBSD a problem here?
I could submit a file (--> I'm the author) but assign the copyright to
the FreeBSD Foundation (--> TFF is the copyright holder).

Joerg
Sebastian Huber
2018-10-15 10:45:16 UTC
Post by Joerg Sonnenberger
Post by Sebastian Huber
In case the author of a FreeBSD source file is not the copyright holder,
then doesn't have FreeBSD a problem here?
I could submit a file (--> I'm the author) but assign the copyright to
the FreeBSD Foundation (--> TFF is the copyright holder).
How do you know that such a contract exists if you only look at the file?

In case the copyright holder is not the author, then is the text

 "THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
   ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
   IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE
   ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
   FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL
   DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
   OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
   HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
STRICT
   LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN
ANY WAY
   OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
   SUCH DAMAGE."

applicable to the copyright holder? If not, is it liable for the
software due to some default legislation?

Poul-Henning Kamp
2018-10-15 10:50:42 UTC
--------
Post by Sebastian Huber
Post by Joerg Sonnenberger
I could submit a file (--> I'm the author) but assign the copyright to
the FreeBSD Foundation (--> TFF is the copyright holder).
How do you know that such a contract exists if you only look at the file?
As a user licensing the code under the BSD2 copyright, that does
not concern you in any way, unless you have reason to suspect that
the contract does not exist and the license therefore may be
fraudulent.
***@FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
Sebastian Huber
2018-10-16 05:25:55 UTC
Hello,

it seems the master list of SPDX Identifiers is maintained by the Linux
Foundation and not OSI:

https://spdx.org/licenses/

The BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD is there:

https://spdx.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD.html

Mark Millard via freebsd-hackers
2018-10-16 10:02:56 UTC
Post by Sebastian Huber
Hello,
https://spdx.org/licenses/
https://spdx.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD.html
And it does not agree with the other 2, listing from the above
first:

PROVIDED BY THE FREEBSD PROJECT
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE FREEBSD PROJECT OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE

(yep: no "AND CONTRIBUTORS" for the first line that I listed)

vs.

PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE

vs.

PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE

Messy. (I've not double checked the rest of the wording.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went
away in early 2018-Mar)
Rodney W. Grimes
2018-10-16 15:13:24 UTC
Post by Mark Millard via freebsd-hackers
Post by Sebastian Huber
Hello,
https://spdx.org/licenses/
https://spdx.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD.html
And it does not agree with the other 2, listing from the above
PROVIDED BY THE FREEBSD PROJECT
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE FREEBSD PROJECT OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
(yep: no "AND CONTRIBUTORS" for the first line that I listed)
vs.
PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
vs.
PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
Messy. (I've not double checked the rest of the wording.)
And this is why ultimately SPDX tagging should leave the original
license in a file in place, this dis-joint nature creates space
for these types of problems. Rather simple to just not have
them and leave the license in the file as has been done for 30
years.
--
Rod Grimes ***@freebsd.org